Environment-related Email Footers Can Be Misleading
"The print and paper industry is a world leader when it comes to sustainable raw materials, renewable energy and recycling." – Two Sides.
July 7, 2016 - Just a quick scroll through our email inboxes and it won't take long before we come across a statement like; 'Think before you print' and 'Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?'
But these messages are unsubstantiated, misleading and can have a lasting effect on consumer perceptions of print and paper, said Two Sides, an initiative created to promote the sustainability of Print and Paper.
“The print and paper industry is a world leader when it comes to sustainable raw materials, renewable energy and recycling," Two Sides added.
Some key facts about print and paper's sustainability in Europe:
- Between 2005 and 2015, European forests grew by an area the size of Switzerland
- Europe recycles 72% of its paper
- 84% of the industry's raw materials come from Europe
- Between 2005 and 2013, the CO2 emissions of the European pulp and paper industry were reduced by 22%
- 56% of the industry's total primary annual energy consumption is biomass-based
Two Sides has created a new fact sheet, full of alternative email sign-offs, to help encourage individuals and businesses to use fair, factual and honest statements in their emails.
“We shouldn't have to feel guilty about printing our emails. Just ensure that you use paper from certified or sustainably managed forests, print double-sided and always recycle,” Two Sides concluded.
A PDF copy of Two Sides' "Print and Paper Fact Sheet" is available here . . . and please share. (529k, pdf)
SOURCE: Two Sides (www.twosides.info)