Resolute Named to Best 50 Corporate Citizens List by Corporate Knights
June 4, 2014 - Resolute Forest Products Inc. has been named to Corporate Knights' Best 50 Corporate Citizens List for 2014.
"Resolute employees have worked hard to put our sustainability principles at the heart of every decision we make," said Richard Garneau, President and Chief Executive Officer. "By carefully balancing environmental, social and economic priorities, Resolute is becoming a more efficient operator, a better employer, and a stronger partner for customers and communities."
For the Best 50 designation, Corporate Knights measures companies across twelve key performance indicators using publicly available data, covering the management of resources, employees and financials. Specific indicators include: energy and water use; greenhouse gas emissions; leadership gender diversity and "clean capitalism" executive pay link. Corporate Knights is recognized globally for its transparent and objective approach to measuring corporate sustainability performance.
Some of Resolute's recent sustainability accomplishments include:
- Closing in, ahead of schedule, on the goal the Company set as a member of the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Climate Savers program to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 65% by 2015, compared to 2000 levels. Resolute's 65% goal is an industry-leading GHG reduction target and represents the equivalent of taking 1.57 million cars off the road.
- Maintaining 100% third party certification of the Company's managed woodlands to one or more of the three internationally-recognized sustainable forest management standards.
- Expanding the Company's AlignŽ family of environmentally responsible papers that use up to 50 percent less fiber and have an environmental footprint up to 85 percent smaller than its competitors.
- Partnering with First Nations in the Company's operating communities. In 2013, Resolute's Opitciwan (Quebec) joint-venture sawmill was awarded the Aboriginal Forest Products Business Leadership Award by the Forest Products Association of Canada and the Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business. Resolute also recently celebrated the 10th anniversary of its Thunder Bay sawmill, a unique partnership between Resolute and the Fort William First Nation.
- A 2013 Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) incident rate of 1.02, which is considered world class.
"I am proud of what Resolute and our employees have accomplished," continued Richard Garneau. "We are honored that Resolute made the Best 50 list. This recognition speaks to our ongoing efforts to be a sustainable supplier of choice for our customers and a strong civic partner in the communities where we live and work."
Resolute Forest Products is a global leader in the forest products industry with a diverse range of products, including newsprint, commercial printing papers, market pulp and wood products. The Company owns or operates over 40 pulp and paper mills and wood products facilities in the United States, Canada and South Korea, and power generation assets in Canada. For additional information, visit: www.resolutefp.com
SOURCE: Resolute Forest Products Inc.