Arauco Plans to Build 1.5 Million tpy Pulp Line at Arauco Mill in Chile
Arauco Mill in southern Chile.
Feb. 6, 2014 (Reuters) - Chile's Celulosa Arauco y Constitucion is looking to boost its wood pulp production by over 40 percent with a recently approved $2.1 billion expansion project, the company said on Thursday.
The company's Arauco mill in southern Chile will see overall production jump to 2.1 million tonnes once the expansion, which environmental authorities approved on Wednesday, is complete.
The project, called the Proyecto Modernizacion y Ampliacion Planta Arauco (MAPA), involves the suspension of Arauco mill's 280,000 tonne eucalyptus production line, a modernization of the 506,000 tonne pine line, and the construction of a third 1.56 million tonne line.
The full Reuters story is available on Yahoo Finance: Chile Arauco gets OK for expansion to boost wood pulp production.
Editor's Note: Arauco has five pulp mills in Chile and one in Argentina. The above story refers to Araurco Mill, which currently has two pulp lines (see below).
- Nueva Aldea Mill - Capacity: 1,027,000 tons per year of bleached pine and eucalyptus kraft pulp
- Valdivia Mill - Capacity: 550,000 tons of bleached pine and/or eucalyptus kraft pulp
- Arauco Mill - Capacity: (Line I, batch process) 283,200 tons eucalyptus kraft pulp; (Line II, continuous process) bleached pine 506,880 tons
- Constitucion Mill - Capacity: 355,000 tons of Unbleached Softwood Pulp
- Licancel Mill - Capacity: 140,000 tons of Eucalyptus Kraft Pulp and Pine Bleached Kraft Pulp
- Alto Parana Mill (Argentina) - Capacity: 350,000 tons bleached taeda pine kraft pulp and fluff pulp