Paper Check-off Panel Seeking Nominations for the Paper Check-off Board of Directors
"As an industry, we have an unmatched sustainability record and a strong story to tell. A Check-off offers us a unique opportunity to tell that story in a targeted and positive way."
– The Check-Off Panel
March 21, 2013 - The Paper and Paper-based Packaging Check-off Panel (the Panel), a 14-member panel of industry executives that has been leading the process to develop a paper and paper-based packaging check-off program (the Paper Check-off), seeks nominations from the industry to identify manufacturers and importers of paper and paper-based packaging interested in candidacy for a seat on the initial Paper Check-off Board, which will be established following approval of the proposed program in the industry referendum.
An Order to establish the Paper Check-off Order was proposed in the Federal Register on January 2, 2013. If approved in the industry referendum, the proposed Order would establish a paper and paper-based packaging promotion, research and information program pursuant to the Commodity Promotion, Research and Information Act of 1996 (7 U.S.C. 7411-7425).
The proposed Order provides for the Panel to recommend nominations for the initial program board to the Secretary of Agriculture (the Secretary), who will appoint the Board. The program Board would solicit nominees for Board seats after the initial Board is established.
Board Structure – The Paper Check-off program would be administered by a 12-member Board of Directors comprising manufacturers and importers of paper and paper-based packaging who produce or import 100,000 short tons or more of paper and paper-based packaging in a marketing year.
Seats would be based on the geographic distribution of the quantity of paper and paper-based packaging manufactured in and imported to the United States. The manufacturer representatives would represent different regions as follows: 1) six would be from the South; 2) one from the Northeast; 3) two from the Midwest; and 4) one from the West. Additionally, one manufacturer member would be at-large from any region but shall manufacture at least 100,000 shorts tons but no more than 250,000 short tons of paper and paper-based packaging annually; if there are no eligible nominees, the seat would be allocated to the largest producing region. One member would be an importer of 100,000 short tons or more of paper and paper-based packaging.
Board Terms – Board members would serve for three-year terms or until the Secretary selects a successor. Each term would begin on January 1 and end on December 31. No member would be able to serve more than two full consecutive three-year terms, except that the initial Board terms would be staggered for two, three and four years. Determination of which of the initial members would serve a two, three or four- year term would be recommended by the Panel to the Secretary.
Board Members Nominees – Interested parties may self-nominate or nominate others to become candidates by filling out the form "NOMINATION FOR APPOINTMENT TO THE PAPER AND PAPER-BASED PACKAGING CHECK-OFF BOARD" and emailing it to Jan Poling at firstname.lastname@example.org or faxing it to 202-463-2052. In addition to identifying the nominee's qualifications to serve, nominations should include a short
background statement outlining the nominee's reasons for wishing to serve on the Board and experience. Please also note any relevant experience as demonstrated by active participation in generic industry research and promotional activities. The deadline for nominations is April 12, 2013.
Qualifications for serving on the Paper Check-off Board follow:
- Board members will be company Chief Executive Officers or their designees. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to, Chief Operating Officers, Presidents, Senior Executives or other Vice Presidents, and significant business leaders and/or Officers of the Company. This will provide for representatives with sufficient decision-making authority while also providing an opportunity for diversity, with accompanying diversity in perspectives, ideas and opinions, so that the Board can best serve the industry.
- The Board will be comprised of manufacturers and importers of 100,000 short tons or more of paper and paper-based packaging in a marketing year.
- No two members of the Board may be employed by a single company.
- If you are a manufacturer and an importer, you may seek nomination as either a manufacturer or an importer, but not both. You must specify whether you are seeking nomination as a manufacturer or an importer.
- If you manufacture in more than one region, you may seek nomination in one region of your choice. You must specify the geographic region for which you are seeking nomination.
- If you are a manufacturer of at least 100,000 shorts tons but no more than 250,000 short tons of paper and paper-based packaging annually, you must specify whether you are seeking the at-large nomination.
To learn more about the Paper Check-off program and to download nomination forms, please visit the Paper Check-off website: www.papercheckoff.com