SCA Launches New Sustainability Targets
March 13, 2012 - SCA said that it is increasing its sustainability goals through the introduction of a number of new targets. According to a recent SCA survey, sustainability activities are significant for the business operation.
"Sustainability activities are business-critical for SCA and give us an edge over competitors. Our ambitious work makes us more attractive for customers, consumers and investors, while it also contributes to lower costs," said Jan Johansson, SCA's President and CEO, at a press meeting in Stockholm.
SCA recently performed a survey which showed that sustainability activities play an important role in relationships with customers. As many as 41% of respondents said that they had participated in contract negotiations in which sustainability was the deciding factor for the outcome.
Measurability and access to relevant key performance indicators are crucial factors in ensuring successful sustainability programs. Systematic preparatory work has resulted in a number of specific new targets:
- Triple production of biofuels from SCA’s forests by 2020
- Increase wind power production on SCA forest land to 5 TWh by 2020
- Set aside at least 5% of SCA’s productive forestland from forestry in the ecological landscape plans and a further 5% for nature conservation purposes
- Decrease the accident frequency rate by 25% between 2011 and 2016
- Make SCA’s hygiene knowledge base available to customers and consumers and ensure access to affordable, sustainable hygiene solutions
- Deliver better, safe and environmentally sound solutions to customers through sustainable innovation
"The middle class is expected to grow by three billion consumers in the next 20 years, primarily in emerging markets. This represents a major opportunity for us to improve hygiene and health standards for millions of people at the same time as ensuring our commercial success," said Kersti Strandqvist, SVP of Corporate Sustainability.
"Innovation and sustainability are strongly intertwined, and sustainable innovations are essential if we are to surpass customer and consumer expectations. In order for us to further emphasize the importance of this area, we are today proud to announce that we have decided to join the World Business Council for Sustainable Development, where global corporations go from words to action on sustainability matters," she added.